Articles » Moving Your LLC to Another State

Moving Your LLC to Another State

Tags: Attorneys, Business Law, Intellectual Property

So you began your LLC in one state, and it ends up being effective, but you then choose to move to a new state for household or other factors. Now what? Well, you have a couple of alternatives that will allow you to continue on with your business-- a few of which may lead to only minimal difficulties and/or expenses. Because all of the choices talked about listed below have to be examined based upon your particular scenarios and include several state's laws, you are strongly encouraged to look for legal suggestions from a business law attorney in both your current/old state and your new state. This can make a law office that has actually attorneys licensed in numerous states, such as McGrath & Spielberger, PLLC, with attorneys certified in FL, GA, NC, OH, SC and TN and attorney connections in most other states, an extremely valuable resource.

When you negotiate business in a state other than the one where your LLC was formed, you usually need to register your LLC in the new state (frequently called filing for a Certificate of Authority or Foreign Qualification). Well, this "registration" can be used in the new state even if it becomes your home state, however the original state where you formed your LLC will stay the "home state" for your LLC. These may be unneeded expenses if you no longer have any ties to the LLC's home state and/or you simply desire to have your LLC's home state be the same as your brand-new home state.

Add a New LLC in Your New State and Dissolve Your Current LLC.

Another option is to form a new LLC in your new state and liquify the LLC in your old state. When you form a new LLC you are considered a new business entity which is separate and unique from your original LLC-- even if your brand-new LLC has the very same name as your present LLC.

Domesticate Your Existing LLC into Your New State.

Some states will enable you to transform or transform your LLC formed in another state into an LLC in their state. This process, called domestication, enables the LLC to move to a new state (and become an LLC under the new state's laws) and keep its corporate history, credit, EIN, contracts, etc. It basically implies that it is the very same LLC but just thought about to exist under the new state's laws. While this is apparently the very best option in many cases, the issue is that numerous state's laws do not yet enable domestication of an LLC. For example, in South Carolina a corporation can domesticate into South Carolina from another state, but an LLC currently can not. Nevertheless, if the end-result of domestication seems the finest result for your scenario however domestication is not readily available, then it may make sense to think about the next alternative-- an LLC merger. If you are usure of the best ption for your business then we suggest contact a professional and experienced attorney law firm for business relations in your area.

Combine Your Existing LLC into a New LLC formed in Your New State.

While this option may be the most complex from a legal standpoint, if done effectively the outcomes may be really comparable to those of domestication-- you can typically remain as the same business with the same EIN, corporate history, agreements, etc. although you are technically forming a brand-new LLC. The procedure, although it is simplified here, is to form a brand-new LLC in your new state and then combine your present LLC into the new LLC. The new LLC basically consumes the current LLC and the new LLC can, in numerous cases, advance with the business of the present LLC with no disruptions or the need for any possession transfers, etc. The complexities of this choice develop in identifying exactly what has to be done to successfully accomplish the merger in both involved states. Depending on the states included, Articles of Merger, Articles of Dissolution or Termination, or comparable types may have to be submitted in one or both states. Custom merger documents might even have to be drafted in some cases, so please discuss your situation with an attorney(s) prior to continuing.